Sideswipe Car Accidents
By Shane Kadlec on December 18, 2018
According to numbers form the Texas Department of Transportation, there were a total of 551,971 auto accidents in the state in the year 2016. Houston, TX led the state in total collisions, with 12.18 percent of all statewide crashes occurring in the city. That is why the Law Office Of Shane R. Kadlec takes car accidents, auto collisions, and motor vehicle crashes of all kinds so seriously.
While not as deadly or dangerous as head-on or broadside crashes, sideswipe collisions can do a great deal of harm to motorists as well as anyone in the vicinity of the crash. Let’s consider the dangers and causes of sideswipe crashes and how an attorney can help you if you have been involved in a crash.
What Is a Sideswipe Car Accident
A sideswipe car accident refers to cases in which the sides of vehicles strike one another. Sometimes these accidents lead to scratches and dents, while other times these accidents lead to the loss of vehicle control and serious harm.
Causes of Sideswipe Accidents
Some of the most common causes of sideswipe auto accidents include the following:
- Failure to Signal - When drivers fail to signal when merging or changing lanes, the risk of a sideswipe are high.
- Failure to Yield the Right of Way - If a person is merging lanes but another driver does not give that motorist the right of way, sideswipe collisions are possible.
- Not Checking Blindspots - Whenever you change lanes, it’s important to check your vehicle blindspot to avoid potential collisions such as sideswipe accidents.
- Driver Distraction - Use of a cellphone behind the wheel, rubbernecking, or even eating while driving could lead to a sideswipe crash.
- Reckless Driving - People who frequently change lanes, speed, and cut off other motorists increase the risk of all sorts of collisions.
- Drunk Driving - Drunk drivers tend to be inattentive and likely to swerve or weave, which makes crashes of all kinds likely.
Statistics on Sideswipe Auto Crashes
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 824 fatal sideswipe accidents in 2015; sideswipes caused just 2.6 percent of fatal collisions that year. The NHTSA also found that sideswipe collisions led to 104,000 injury collisions, which comprised 6.1 percent of injury accidents in 2015. Around 670,000 accidents that caused vehicle damage only were the result of sideswipe crashes, which was 14.7 percent of vehicle damage crashes that year.
Holding Negligent Motorists Accountable
If you or someone you love has been harmed in a sideswipe collision, our law firm can help. We will hold negligent or reckless motorists accountable for their actions, seeking legal damages to cover vehicle repair or replacement, medical expenses, lost wages, and so forth.
Given the complexities of civil law, working with an attorney will offer peace of mind. While our law firm focuses on building your case and determining if a settlement is fair, you and your family and focus on recovery and moving forward with your lives.
Speak with an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
For more information about your legal rights and options following a side
contact the Law Office Of Shane R. Kadlec. We are ready to listen to you and offer legal help. You can reach our law offices by phone at (281) 643-2000.
Related to This
"Shane showed genuine concern about my well-being. He not only gave me excellent legal service, he did so with compassion and integrity."--Tracy